This title is a Music Scotland All Time Bestseller.
(December 2010 release of 2005 recording) 43 tracks (3 hours)
From the Transatlantic Sessions producers, the complete BBC Highland Sessions series on DVD, featuring 32 Scottish and Irish artists.
Traditional music and song at its very best, with a host of top names and superbly filmed.
In its original Gaelic-presented version Comhdhail Cholm Cille (Columba Sessions), The Highland Sessions appeared after the first two series of Transatlantic Sessions, in which the same director Mike Alexander had developed his uniquely intimate and award-winning approach to recording music for television.
The Highland Sessions differed from these predecessors in two important respects - there was no North American element, and the singing languages were almost exclusively Irish and Scottish Gaelic.
Six half-hour programmes presented by Mary Ann Kennedy, with music director Steve Cooney and music producer Allan MacDonald.
Featured artists from Ireland: Mary Black, Dermot Byrne, Karan Casey, Steve Cooney, Trevor Hutchinson, Laoise Kelly, Seosaimhín Ní Bheaglaoich, Triona Ni Dhomhnaill, Pádraigín Ní Uallacháin, Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh, Mick O'Brien, Éamon Ó Donnchadha, Iarla Ó Lionáird, Liam Ó Maonlái, Caoimhin Ó Raghallaigh and Niall Vallely.
Featured artists from Scotland: Alasdair Codona, James Graham, Allan Henderson, Neil Johnstone, Mary Ann Kennedy, Rona Lightfoot, Allan MacDonald, Iain MacDonald, Iain MacFarlane, Kathleen MacInnes, Donnie Murdo MacLeod, Karen Matheson, Donald Shaw, Mary Smith, Margaret Stewart and Jim Sutherland.
Director Mike Alexander, producer Douglas Eadie. A Pelicula Films Production for BBC Wales, RTE and Seirbheis Meadhanan Gaidhlig.
"The Highland Sessions was an informal celebration of the links between the Scottish and Irish Gaelic traditions. But in the course of two weeks at Strathgarry House near Killiecrankie in the Perthshire Highlands, it became clear to everybody - performers and production team alike - that what we were creating was also something genuinely historic: a re-discovery and sharing of unities, centuries older than the divisions of relatively recent history and politics. There is in this somewhat belatedly-released DVD of the Highland Sessions series as much joy as seriousness, as much in the way of fun as musical brilliance. Gaelic passion doesn't always have a straight face. The Highland Sessions celebrates that tradition at a level of performance, recording and presentation that gives viewers an experience about as close to live music as television can get." (Douglas Eadie, producer)
"Total pleasure - wonderful music, great landscapes and sense of rootedness..." (Janice Hadlow, 1995, BBC4 Controller)
- Mary Ann Kennedy, Rona Lightfoot & Mick O'Brien: O'Donnell's Return / O'Neill's Cavalcade / Strathspey / Reel
- Mary Black: Siúil A Rún (I Wish In Vain)
- James Graham: A Mhairead Òg (Young Margaret)
- Dermot Byrne: Bunker Hill
- Karan Casey: Buile Mo Chroí (Beat Of My Heart)
- Iarla Ó Lionáird: t'Aimse Im' Chodhladh (I Am Asleep)
- Mary Ann Kennedy: Puirt A Beul (Mouth Music) - Mhorag An Dean Thu Tighinn / St Kilda Wedding / Hir An Fheill / Buachaille Dubh Fionnghal
- Karen Matheson: Chuir m'Athair Mise Dha'n Taigh Charraideach (My Father Sent Me To The House Of Sorrow)/ Seudan a'Chuain (Jewels Of The Ocean)
- Éamon Ó Donnchadha: Eileanór Na Rún (Darling Eleanor)
- Niall Vallely: Malfunction Junction / Callan Bridge
- Donnie Murdo Macleod: Oran Mòr Mhicleoid (The Macleod's Great Song)
- Pádraigin Ni Uallacháin: Éalaigh Liom (Elope With Me)
- Iain Macdonald & Allan Macdonald: An Eas Bheag (The Little Cascade) / Cutty's Wedding / The Flagon
- Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh: Slán Le Máigh (Farewell To The Maigue)
- Margaret Stewart: O's Tu 's Gura Tu th'Air m'Aire (You Are Always On My Mind)
- Liam Ó Maonlái: Sadhbh Ni Bhruinneallaigh
- Mary Ann Kennedy & Laoise Kelly: Kirsten Thomson / The Petrie Jig
- James Graham: Cumha Alasdair Dhuinn (Lament For Alexander Mackenzie)
- Mary Black: Óro Sé Do Bheatha ‘Bhaile (Welcome Home)
- Allan Henderson: Fead Na h-Iolaire (Eagle's Whistle)
- Karan Casey: A Chomaraigh Aoibhinn O (Sweet Comeraghs)
- Kathleen MacInnes: Gaol Ise Gaol I (She's My Love)
- Karen Matheson: Gleann Bhaile Chaoil (Ballachulish Glen)
- Iain MacDonald & Iain MacFarlane: The Green Shades Of Gask / Captain White's / Mike Macdougall's
- Seosaimhin Ni Bheaglaoich: Dónal Og (Young Donald)
- Rona Lightfoot: Lal, Lal, Ars' a'Chailleach (Lal, Lal, Said The Old Woman) / Canntaireachd (Strathspey & Reel)
- Margaret Stewart: Thèid I's Gun Tèid E Leam (My Love Will Go With Me)
- Iarla Ó Lionáird: Caoineadh Na Dtrí Muire (Lament Of The Three Marys)
- Allan MacDonald: Cumha Dhonnchaidh Mhicrath (Duncan Macrae Of Kintail's Lament) / Kings Of Laois
- Kathleen MacInnes: Jimmy Mo Mhíle Stór (Jimmy, My Treasure)
- Mick O'Brien & Caoimhin Ó Raghallaigh: Teampall An Ghleannáin (The Templeglantine Reel) / Plearaca Dhoire Chreasain (The Humours Of Derrykissane)
- Mary Black: Bruach Na Carraige Báine (White Rock Hill)
- Allan MacDonald: Cùm 'Ur Gealladh (Keep Your Promise)
- Alasdair Codona: Feasgar Luain (Monday Evening)
- Seosaimhin Ni Bheaglaoich: Cailín Na Nurla Donn (The Brown-Haired Woman)
- Steve Cooney: Sí Beag Sí Mór (Fairy Mounds)
- Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh: An Spealadóir (The Scytheman)
- Karen Matheson: Iain Ghlinn Cuaich (John Of Glen Cuaich)
- Naill Vallely, Dermot Byrne & Donald Shaw: An t-Each Iarainn (The Iron Horse) / The Whinney Hills Of Leitrim / Gladstone's Reel
- Liam Ó Maonlái : An Raibh Tu Ag An gCarraig? (Were You At The Rock?)
- Mary Smith: A' Bhean Eudach (The Jealous Woman)
- Dermot Byrne: Fáilte Gu Baile Ghráinne (Welcome Home Gráinne)
- Mary Black, Iarla O'Lionard, Mary Ann Kennedy, Karen Matheson, Karan Casey & Allan MacDonald: Mo Ghile Mear (My Dashing Darling)